- Suitable for families
- Suitable for pushchairs
- culturally interesting
Follow the Via Lauriacum in the footsteps of the Romans through Enns.
On this archaeological loop you`ll visit the most important stations and locations of past Roman life in 'Enns. Along the way you`ll find stations with exciting information on Roman history and its locations.
Quality of experience: ******
- Refreshment stops available
- Family friendly
- Cultural/historical value
- Insider tip
- Suitable for strollers
The Via Lauriacum is an archaeological loop and can be walked with the support of the "Via Lauriacum" app (free download). The start of this loop is at the main square at the entrance to Lauriacum Museum. Follow the path to Ennsegg Castle and the castle grounds. Having arrived at the Calcaria exhibition, you`ll come past the northern corner of the former Roman legionary fortress Lauriacum. Continue following the path past Maria Anger through the former legionary camp to St. Laurenz Basilica. From here the way leads back again to the main square. The "Via Lauriacum" app will accompany you on this loop with many exciting audios and videos focusing on the topic of the Romans in Enns.
Take this unique opportunity to marvel at the surroundings from over 50 m up. Scale the 157 stairs at Enns town tower, past the bells and the old clockwork of the tower all the way to under the roof, where a small platform offers breathtaking views in all directions.
- The Calcaria exhibition displays one of the 12 lime kilns, which the Romans used to build the legionary fortress. A short video shows how it came to manufacturing the lime.
- Visit the excavations in St. Laurenz Basilica Lower Church. Part of the excavations are exposed in front of the altar. The entire excavation site can be visited as part of a quided tour ( by prior appointment).
- Having arrived at the starting point at Enns main square, you can take the opportunity to visit Lauriacum Museum, one of the most modern Roman exhibitions in Austria.
Hiking backpack (incl. rain cover), sturdy shoes
This archaeological circular route can also be started at the St. Laurenz basilica
- Board possible
on Autobahn A1 exit at Enns Ost – continue in direction of Enns – in the roundabout take the 1st exit and turn left at the traffic light. Follow the signs in the centre to the main square.
Location and getting there
How to arrive in the Danube Upper Austrian region?
The fast way to your destination – by train, bus, car, boat or plane.
Take the train to Enns station and then continue by bus to Enns main square.
Parking (fee-based short-term parking zone) is available at Enns main square, as well as free parking (P3) at Lorcherstraße/Mauthausner Straße Road.
- Suitable for pushchairs
- Early winter
- Deep winter
Please get in touch for more information.