search
Search
Close

Old Catholic Church Prunerstift

Linz, Oberösterreich, Österreich

Old Catholic Church of the Three Kings in Pruner Abbey

The Pruner Foundation bears the name of the Linz mayor Johann Adam Pruner, a brother of the city architect Johann Michael Pruner, who donated the building for charitable purposes. 

This largest private foundation in the history of the city of Linz was established after his death between 1737 and 1740. The foundation provided for the accommodation of 27 orphan boys, 27 poor unmarried men and 27 poor unmarried women in a new house to be built. A church was built for this purpose and a priest was employed.
The church dedicated to the Three Wise Men was closed as early as 1789 and then used as a storage room. It has been a place of worship for the Old Catholic Church since 1919.

From the outside, the church building is integrated into the two-storey structure of the monastery: The rectangular main building is adjoined by two transverse wings that enclose two courtyards. The Baroque main portal leads from the Fabrikstraße to the church, which adjoins at right angles.
The church interior is designed as a central space in the shape of a square with rounded corners. The patron saint of the Three Kings is depicted in the dome and on the high altar. Painted mock architectures depicting the poor and sick indicate the original function of the building.

Old Catholic Church Prunerstift
Fabrikstraße 10
4020 Linz

Phone +43 732 773046
E-Mail kg-linz@altkatholiken.at
Web www.dioezese-linz.at/institution/88…
https://www.dioezese-linz.at/institution/8805/kircheindercity/linz/kirchen/article/13010.html

We speak the following languages

German
Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers

Please get in touch for more information.