Memorial Linz II concentration camp
The memorial was built in the botanical garden, under which the cellars, which were converted into air raid tunnels during the Nazi era, are located.
In February 1944 a subsidiary camp of Mauthausen, Linz II, went into operation at the foot of Bauernberg. Here detainees were worked to death in the construction of air raid shelters. Consistent cold and lack of sunlight created conditions in their living quarters in the Märzen Tunnel that were in themselves unbearable. The air raid shelters were built on behalf of the Linz City Council by private companies, which “rented” the prisoners from the SS. A memorial site situated directly above in today’s Botanical Garden commemorates the Linz II concentration camp.