Pfarrkirche St. Martin im Mühlkreis
- All weather
- Suitable for groups
The parish was first mentioned in documents in 1242. 200 years later it became independent and since 1580 has been permanently looked after by the Augustinian canons from St Florian.
The church itself is of Romanesque origin (around 1150). Due to the destruction of the church in one of the wars of succession, it became necessary to build a church in the High Gothic style around 1320. Around 1400, the church was extended into a two-aisled hall church and in 1519, as a result of a donation, the current baptistery (then known as St Mary's Chapel) was built on the south side in the late Gothic style.
Baroque alterations and extensions were carried out in the 18th century: a sacristy on the north side (which was demolished in 1978), the church tower was sheathed and raised in 1741 and a mortuary chapel (now used as a sacristy) was added in 1779.
100 years later, an altar, a pulpit and new interior furnishings were created in the course of regotisation, all of which were only able to survive for just under 100 years, however, as the church was no longer used for liturgical purposes: In order to meet the liturgical requirements of the Second Vatican Council, the church was enlarged in 1978/79 and the altar was moved to the centre of the nave. The previous east-west orientation was shifted to a south-north direction, which was further emphasised by the relocation of St Martin's window, which dated back to the Middle Ages.
In 2013, the chancel was redesigned once again. Based on an idea by Prof. Frank Louis, the artist Gabriel Berger from Aigen designed the new altar, which is based on the idea of sharing St Martin: The ambo was broken out of a block of granite - dividing it into an altar table and an ambo.
The six rectangular glass panels (created between 1380 and 1410), which are set into the right-hand double-lancet window of the baptistery, are probably the oldest jewels in the church. They show Mary Magdalene (with a jar of ointment) and Catherine of Alexandria (with wheel and crown) in the top row. Next to them are St Christopher with the infant Jesus and Margrave Leopold III with the count's crown and a sword. In the 2nd row below is St Martin - the patron saint of the church - as a knight on horseback. To the right are Mary with the infant Jesus and St Dorothea of Caesarea (with a crown and fruit in a basket). In the bottom row are the secular benefactor Georg Volkrä (in armour and with a crow's coat of arms) and the spiritual benefactor, a vicar in a chasuble and the church's coat of arms.
The baptismal font, created around 1460 from local Plöcking granite and probably restored in the 20th century, is one of the oldest fixtures in the church, along with the six stained glass windows.