The parish of Pfarrkirchen is one of the oldest in Austria. It was established in the 12th century.
Because of the location, the size and the facilities, the church of Pfarrkirchen was a visible sign of the emergent dominion of the bishopric of Passau at that time.
The present building is from the first half of the 13th century. The late romanesque construction was extended by gothic style in the 15th century.
In 1697 the church was redesigned in baroque style by the painter Giovanni Carlone from Passau and the stuccoer Giovanni Batista Carlone. The interior design was made by local masters until 1735.
The frescos was painted over and buried in oblivion in the course of time but in 1992 the frescos have been rediscovered and exposed.
Guided tours for groups only on appointment.
Open at daytime
Suitable for wheelchairs: Not all of the legally stipulated ÖNORM are complied with. In principle, this object is suitable for wheelchairs and no assistance is necessary.