Since May 13, 2004, the Schärding Malzhaus not only features the Water Gate but also a Granite Museum...
The old art of stonemasonry and granite sculpting is demonstrated by various specimen.
...which offers an insight into one of the most important local economic branches.
Special emphasis is laid on the pieces of art by Bavarian and Upper Austrian granite sculptors.
Granite has always been a part of Schärding. As early as in the Stone Ages it was used by locals for making weapons and millstones. The Celts built walls and houses with it while the Romans used it for castles and villas.
During the Middle Ages, granite was more in demand than ever for both sacral buildings and fortresses. The bridge poles of the old Inn bridge dating back to 1310 testify the material´s permanence. From the 16th century on, granite was also used for simpler buildings such as the local fruit press.
April - October
open all day
Please get in touch for more information.