Aschach Power Station on the Danube
Five power plants are generating clean power from renewable hydropower on the Danube.
The Aschach Power Station was built as second Austrian power station on the Danube in the years 1959 to 1964 at the downstream end of the Danube breaking through between Sauwald and Mühlviertel Region.
To supply the local towns Aschach and Hartkirchen with heat, Austria´s first CFC-free large heat pump - serving a public purpose - uses the waste heat generated by the machines of the power station. As additional heat source the wood washed ashore the Danube is used as fuel in a biomass combustion plant.
Four newly created biotopes in the reservoir area provide a habitat for a varied fauna and flora.