A church that was financed by private means and is maintained by a private association.
The desire to build a church in Untergeng dates back a long time ago. After the building of the elementary school (1938/39) the longing for a church grew stronger and the plans for a new church construction became more concrete.
The church construction association “Kirchenbauverein Geng” was established for realizing this building. This association was the builder and is still the owner and maintainer of the church.
The construction started right at the day of the permission of the church building by the abbot of Wilhering and Bishop Dr. Zauner (10.5.1950).
Already on the 24th May 1953 the church consecration could be celebrated with Bishop Dr. Zauner. The bright and beautiful church is dedicated to the ascension of the Virgin Mary. A huge community project was created by the residents of Geng with the construction of this church. In the years 1967/68 a hostel, featuring a stage, hall and a gymnastics room, was built next to the church.
In 2000 the interior of the church was renovated. The altar room was newly designed by Prof. Stifter, a congregation altar was put up and the lighting was renewed. On 4. December the Abbot Gottfried Hammelmayr consecrated the new congregation altar.