Schloss Auhof Castle
- Suitable for groups
AUHOF CASTLE NEAR PERG:
Before the Bundesstraße 3 motorway was extended, there was a dreaded bend in the Perg-Arbing road that was forced by a high wall. Behind this wall stands Auhof Castle, whose rectangular, three-storey building block (construction began in 1568) is divided by an oriel tower (19th century) and the chapel (St Bernhard, after 1667) projecting from the south-east front. A predecessor building, formerly known as the "old castle", remained part of the Meierhof and is hardly recognisable as such following alterations.
The Auhof takes its name from the lords of Au (municipality of Naarn im Machland). It was in their possession until around 1420 and always remained a freehold property.
The new castle burnt down completely in 1693. Baumgartenberg Abbey, the owner at the time, immediately restored the burnt ruins. Today's simple early historicist façade dates from a further extension and remodelling after 1860.
Privately owned - viewing in special cases