Until 1570, the gate that used to be called the Inn Gate or Customs Tower belonged to the Dukes of Bavaria. It then fell to the town before passing into private hands in 1819. The town side of the tower features a fresco depicting the bombardment of Schärding by Danish and Austrian troops during the War of the Spanish Succession in 1703. The countless high-water marks meanwhile tell their own story of the town's numerous flood disasters. The balcony in the corner above the arch was originally used to pillory convicted criminals. It now houses a restaurant and a museum.
Please get in touch for more information.