Old Town Hall
The Old Town Hall is located at the Main Square of Linz, which is enclosed by buildings with an important historical background and whose striking facades characterise the square's appearance. Examples include the Old Town Hall, which is the seat of Linz's mayor and ere you can find the Tourist Information. It houses also an attractive arcade courtyard with a restaurant.
The Old Town Hall as a Place of remembrance:
This edifice dates from 1513/1514 and was newly built by Meister Christoph following a town fire. During the 19th and 20th centuries, the adjacent houses were purchased and structurally integrated in the period from 1993 to 1999. The building has stylistic elements ranging from the Gothic and Renaissance to the Baroque and the contemporary. The Old Town Hall saw decisivepolitical events unfold in the 20th century. In November 1918 demonstrations for a democratic republic took place on the Main Square. After the uprising in February 1934 members of the Schutzbund were held captive in the adjacent prison. In 1938 the Town Hall became the stage for the most ominous political upheaval of all. From its balcony, Adolf Hitler announced to a delirious crowd Austria’s Anschluss to Nazi Germany. After the U.S. takeover in May 1945 the Town Hall became the scene for the demotion of offi cials tainted by Nazism.
- Toilet facility
- All weather
- Suitable for groups
- Suitable for schools
Suitable for wheelchairs: Not all of the legally stipulated ÖNORM are complied with. In principle, this object is suitable for wheelchairs and no assistance is necessary.