The former town hall of the well-known Kremsmünster monastery is located at the "Old Market" in the Old Town.
According to legend, Emperor Friedrich III died in this house on August 19, 1493, having bequeathed it to Gotthard von Starhemberg. In 1507 the building was purchased by Kremsmünster monastery and then redesigned in the Renaissance style by Christoph Canevale between 1578 and 1580. The house was raised by Max Martin Spaz in 1616 and two round oriels with imperial domes were added. The building is now the property of the City of Linz and was fully restored in 1984/85.