Apart from the classics, the Schauspiel (house of acting) at the promenade deals particularly with young Austrian authors.
The Provincial Theatre Linz sees its mission in turning known and forgotten, surprising and never before experienced stories, images, and sounds into something up-to-date and something to be experienced up close. The popular effect is as much of an objective as the conquest of new artistic dimensions.
In 1670, the guild riding school (demolished 1909) was built on the site of the former "Mautgarten". In 1695/96 a new building for festive balls was erected according to plans from Carlo Antonio Carlone. In 1773/74, the Redoutensaal was added as a first floor by J.B. Gangl. During 1803 the provincial theatre was added with an Empire facade. Between 1957/58 the theatre was redesigned by Clemens Holzmeister and a separate extension was built for studio theatre.
Linz Linien bus/tram: 1, 2, 3 – Taubenmarkt;
26, 27 – Theater
Somewhat suitable for wheelchairs: Assistance is sometimes necessary. The measurements do not (fully) conform to the legally stipulated ÖNORM.