St. Vitus Parish Church
The centre of the village Bad Kreuzen forms the late Gothic parish church “Pfarrkirche St. Vitus”.
The start of the Gothic church’s construction dates back to 1324. A keystone from 1490 suggests the completion of the present place of worship. In 1399 the parish of Kreuzen was incorporated into the diocese of Waldhausen.
In 1451 the parish of Kreuzen, next to Grein and Simonsfeld, was given to the Prince Regnant. As a consequence the regiment of Saxa Coburg-Gotha was the patron of the parish Kreuzen until 1968: On 28th November 1968 a letter of declaration of renunciation and later on 4th April 1974 a decree was signed between the regiment of Kreuzen and the diocese. Since then Bad Kreuzen is a parish of free episcopal conferment.
The outer walls are supported by beautiful and strong buttresses. Big lancet windows on the southern side enlighten the interior. In baroque times the lower Gothic part of the tower was increased in height and in modern time it was given a pointed roof. The delicate stellar vault of the two-aisled church hall is carried by two pillars. Under the organ gallery the room is divided into three aisles. Through an enormous ogival triumphal arch you have a view to the parish choir.