Burg Krämpelstein Castle
- All weather
The castle consists of the older residential tower and the adjoining palace.
The former curtain wall is only partially preserved. The castle did not have to undergo any alterations and is therefore an example of medieval castle construction. The former entrance to the interior of the tower is at the level of the first floor. Even today, the difference in level from the staircase of the palas to the tower entrance has been preserved in its original dimensions. On the east side of the palas there is still a stepped bay. The castle's old chapel is located above the entrance. Access to the rooms on the individual floors was via staircases and corridors. Now access is from the palas on the second floor and in the tower via a built-in wooden staircase. The tower is built on a rocky outcrop, with the curtain wall extending from the tower to the steep rock face.
The Schneiderschlössl - as the castle is also known according to legend - was first mentioned in a document in 1171 as Feste Cramerstein. The builder is unknown, but it is likely that Krämpelstein was once a Roman guard post and the current tower is probably built on Roman foundations. In 1845, roadworks in a crevice of the Krämpelstein rock revealed the fragments of a pot in which and next to which a large number of coins had been found. They dated from the time of 284 and 306 (Diocletian and Maximillianus). The castle is not open to the public and is privately owned by Dipl. Ing. Klaus Schulz-Wulkow, Vichtenstein 1, who is also the owner of Vichtenstein Castle.