Tips for a pleasure hiking along the Donausteig
Tip 1: Be fit when hiking the Donausteig!
Most accidents happen when hikers are getting tired or exhausted. Therefore, they also need a training like other poeple doing sports in their leisure time.
Tip 2: No hiking tour without careful planning!
Each hiking tour needs a good planning. Compile your necessary equipment carefully and before starting your hike, make sure to have a good breakfast without stuffing oneself.
Tip 3: Start your hike slowly!
It is always advisable to take enough food and drinks with you. When you recognise first signs of exhaustion, make a pause, eat and drink something- bread, cookies, chocolate etc. and drink as much as possible (2-3 litres during a hiking day).
Tip 4: Do not ask too much of your children!
Hiking tours with children need a very careful planning with an appropriate and varied programme. They want to see and experience something instead of getting bored.
Tip 5: During your hike: Drink enough!
During your hike, you should drink 2-3 litres in order to ensure the mineral salt balance. It is advisable to do not drink alcool when hiking long stages.
Additional tips and advice:
- Backpack with emergency catering
- Take enough drinking water with you
- Wear sturdy trekking or hiking shoes
- Hiking clothes, also for bad weather phases
- Headgear and sunscreen
- Take appropriate maps with you
- For longer tours we recommend hiking poles
- Flashlight and whistle for emergencies
- A cell phone helps in case of emergency (Euro emergency number: 112)
Our request to our hiking guests:
- Stay on the marked trails
- Please do not leave your garbage along the path
- Respect flora & fauna
Good to know.
Tides: All walking times are approximate based on the time of a trained hiker. Plan accordingly for reserves.
Weather: Always inform yourself about the current weather conditions and take them into account in your tour planning.
Payment: Not all accommodation and restaurants accept credit cards, please take enough cash with you.