Steyregg is known for its longand eventful history.
Recent excavations of pottery fragments, stone tools, hatchets, flat axes and other interesting finds provided evidence that Steyregg was settled as early as the Neolithic Ages.
Steyregg Castle dates back to the late 11th century (a similar structure, most likely made from wood, was there already before the turn of the last millenium). After the castle had been hit by two fires in the 18th century the original architecture remained largely untouched afterwards. The castle was carefully renovated and extended in 2004 and its splendid rooms can be rented for private events. Especially beautiful is the castle chapel (late 13th – early 14th century) with its magnificent gothic frescoes from the 14th century (redone in baroque style in 1680). Parts of Steyregg's former city walls are still in good condition.
Steyregg Stadtamt Steyregg
Phone +43 732 640155
Service & information
Tourismusverband Donau Oberösterreich
Phone +43 732 7277 - 800