Pfarrkirche Kopfing und Friedensdenkmal
Kopfing im Innkreis, Oberösterreich, Österreich
A Roman Catholic parish church dedicated to St John the Baptist and St John the Evangelist.
Parish churchThe church was built in 1904/1905. It is assumed that the church, built on the ridges of the Sauwald and visible from afar, was already built under the Bavarian apostle Rupert. The first church was certainly a wooden structure, which was probably only replaced by a Romanesque stone building in the 12th or 13th century. The church tower was built in the 14th century as a Gothic defence tower, at a time when our village was also the summer residence of the Passau canons. In 1904/1905, the parish church was rebuilt in its existing form. Kopfing was a noble residence, a recreational and hunting area for the bishops of Passau. This is probably also the reason why precious church treasures could be acquired. The centrepiece is the missal from 1760, which is decorated with silver fittings and is considered to be excellent work.
The granite obelisk comes from Kopfing's first war memorial. The peace memorial (1985), in front of the church, was erected in memory of the Austrian, Bavarian and Danish soldiers who fell in our area in 1703 - 1704 during the War of the Spanish Succession from 1701 - 1714 and of those Kopfingers who lost their lives here in the fight for their freedom on 25 November 1703. More information at https://www.kulturhaus-kopfing.info/historische-abrisse/kriegerdenkmal/