You´ll find ancient and venerable Steyregg Castle near to the Danube on foot of Pfenning Mountain.
The Steyregg Castle we see today dates back to medieval times, with the massive tower houses dominating the bailey. In the course of time, the outside of the Castle was radically altered by fires, augmentations, and demolition - and it was almost let gone to rack and ruin. Although the Castle has been completely changed one can still see that it was once built to last the centuries, with thick exterior walls.
The four story building is a superb example of Gothic architecture and a good example of a Medieval defensive structure. The whole complex is still encircled by the ring wall and bailey. The gate to the castle is flanked by two tower houses and gives way to a wide open ward. The deep ditch in front of the entrance has remained and is spanned by an arched brick bridge today; in its hey days the Castle was accessible by a drawbridge only.
The east wing houses a fine 17th century banquet hall and a two-storey Baroque chapel with lavish and ornate plasterworks. In the year 1956 a precious mural cycle of the 14th century was exposed here.