The Roman Tombstone dates back to the 2nd century AD and is made of limestone.
Limestone rocks are sedimentary rocks that are made from the mineral calcite which came from the beds of evaporated seas and lakes and from sea animal shells. The Romans used this rock as an excellent building stone.
The Roman Stone very probably was an ancient tombstone, depicting a youth standing on one foot or maybe an angelic being. Each of the short sides is filled with elaborate tendrils and rosettes, being a symbol of life. The stone was incorporated in the steeple at Leonding´s Parish Church and taken out in 1836. First it was exhibited at the Provincial Museum of Linz. For years, the stone has been on display at Leonding now.
Mondays, Thursdays & Fridays: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Saturdays & Sundays: 1:00pm - 6:00pm
Please get in touch for more information.